Thursday, December 22, 2011

Nina, Age 31


Nina Tan, Defense Attorney, Winter 1990

   My father always told me this moment would come.
 
     The right side of his brain has never quite been able to fathom how I could give up the stage for the stand.  "I raised you to create your own music", he would say, "not to play someone else's."   
    He had been disappointed before though.  When my mother left us.  When my brother went into rehab.  But, this time was unlike any other.  This time, the disappointment in his voice was peppered with fear.  Allergic to change, I could tell he was afraid for me every time I'd introduce him to one of my law school study mates.  They were a foreign species, and every paternal fiber in his being wanted to keep me from them --- from becoming one of them. 
     But, I am one of them now; and like a good little lawyer, I listen intently to my new client tell his side of her story.  My sympathetic tone and reassuring eyes convince him I am on his side.  Hunting spoils line the tall walls of his old family cabin, and I wonder how he can lie this easily with so many pairs of glassy eyes glaring down at him.
  
My father always told me this moment would come. 

In Nina's Closet... 
Nina's Closet

Nina's Closet by thequeenknowsbest featuring leather jackets

*The quote above is a fictionalized account inspired by the people and fashion of a photograph found here.*

3 comments:

  1. I am envious of Nina's closet - that green is lovely.

    crescouture.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I love that stunning blue coat. Gorgeous!

    http://dolledup4theday.blogspot.com/

    ~Khalilah~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your idea of this blog is really amazing! So inspiring to me. :)

    Are you maybe interested into a guest blogging spot on my blog? I can imagine that my readers will like your work a lot. If yes contact me with e-mail: th.anhdinh@yahoo.com

    And of course I wish you a merry merry Christmas and all the best for 2012!

    xx. Anh from tha-darlinh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete